Icon Painting Summer School 2021
Plan your Summer with us!
Icon Painting School “Radruzh” at the Ukrainian Catholic University
Summer Program 2021
Dates: 5 – 24 July
2 program formats: standard (5-17 July) and advanced (5-24 July);
• 6 hours of daily intensive practical workshops (drawing and icon painting);
• Daily Divine Liturgy, Scripture reading or other prayer/meditation
• Weekly tours to icon museums, sacred art monuments in Lviv and Western Ukraine
• Master classes by invited speakers: artists, iconographers, restorers.
3 to 12 ECTS points (3‐6 American College Credits)
Our icon painting school is unique in its combination of all four elements of learning, which are essential for mastering traditional Eastern Christian iconography:
• learning practical skills and secrets of authentic medieval iconographic art, its techniques and style;
• creating spiritual atmosphere of prayer, quietude and meditation, necessary for icon painting;
• acquaintance with master-works of iconography preserved in old churches and museums of Western Ukraine.
• the study of theological, spiritual, historical and artistic foundations of iconography;
The program is open to students of all levels – from those already advanced in icon painting to those who never had any experience of art whatsoever (however, students will be divided in groups, based on their preliminary experience).
Students may receive 3 to 12 ECTS points after completing the course and passing the final exam. Every participant receives a certificate of participation and those that pass the final exam earn a grade report with the ECTS points allocation.
TUTORING, STUDY TRIPS AND MASTER CLASSES
Along with participation in a formal university-level theory course, all students will be assisted in their endeavor to write their own icon by an instructor/tutor. Apart from that during the school we offer a number of unique master classes: iconographic drawing, calligraphy, gilding, preparation of board and gesso, etc. These offer very valuable skills for those who plan to continue to paint icons after completing our program. Last, but not least, we take our students on several study-tours of local churches and museums (especially National Museum in Lviv, which is a home to one of world’s largest collections of icons!). Optional week-end trips (to Lutsk, the Carpathians and other locations) can also be arranged.
SCHOOL STAFF AND FACILITIES
Our teaching staff members are experienced iconographers and instructors, who have been working with us for many years and taught students from many countries and contexts. Theoretical courses are taught by academics with Western (EU and USA) degrees in Theology, Liturgy, History and Art. Our physical resources include modern university campus, audio/video units in every classroom, free Wi-Fi, modern computer lab, multimedia auditorium, chapel with daily services, full service cafeteria, handicap accessible, located within walking distance of the historical city center.
University guest-house: Single or double rooms; walking (3-5 min.) distance from the study facilities.
Meal plan: Breakfast and lunch
HOW TO ENROLL
Please send us an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you our registration form and answer all questions.
The cost of the program: US $1200 (tuition and fees, including all icon painting materials and supplies) + the cost of lodging and meals (from US $500 to $900, depending on duration and plan).
Deadline for Applications:
June 5 (for those applying before April 30th-5% discount)
- Іконографія Старого Завіту (онлайн курс)
Метою курсу є ознайомити студентів зі складною та...
- Базовий курс композиції та кольорознавста 7.10 - 2.11.21
Іконописна школа "Радруж" разом з відомою художницею...
- Курси іконопису для дітей. Осінні канікули 2021
Іконописна школа «Радруж» запрошує на «Курси...